My Jewish friends are in the midst of celebrating their holiest days of the year. In fact, since my last writing they have observed Yom Kippur…the time of atonement and redemption ~
"G'mar Tov" (finish well) or "G'mar Chatima Tova" (may you be sealed in the book of life).
One of the blessed sacraments of the Catholic Faith is the holy sacrament of confession, which carries the same spirit and purpose of atonement and hopefully redemption. These are bedrock cornerstones of Judeo-Christian life for a reason. The celebration of these events and sacraments affirm our loyalty to God above any earthly power or figure. Period!
In my last day, there can be no thing more important than my true heartfelt atonement and redemption. It is impossible for the heart to hold these intentions without knowledge of who we are to begin with. That is worth repeating ~ It is impossible for the heart to hold these intentions without knowledge of who we are to begin with. The saying Ignorance is bliss is a half lie. Mortal bliss is a blink in the eye of eternity dear friend.
There is a flip side to that coin you know…the Truth will set you free!
There is no greater knowledge of who we are as Americans to be found within 310 pages than can be found in The 5,000 Year Leap by W. Cleon Skousen! Second only to knowing who you are is understanding what you have…for without this you would think you have nothing to lose. This is why knowledge is the tyrant’s first target! Here are the Founders’ 28 Principles contained within The 5,000 Year Leap. To know them is to know yourself. To surrender them is to deny God!
1) The Only Reliable Basis for Sound Government and Just Human Relations is Natural Law.
2) A Free People Cannot Survive Under a Republican Constitution Unless They Remain Virtuous and Morally Strong.
3) The Most Promising Method of Securing a Virtuous and Morally Stable People is to Elect Virtuous Leaders.
4) Without Religion the Government of Free People Cannot be Maintained.
5) All Things Were Created by God, Therefore upon Him All Mankind are Equally Dependent, and to Him They are Equally Responsible.
6) All Men are Created Equal.
7) The Proper Role of Government is to Protect Equal Rights, Not Provide Equal Things.
8) Men are Endowed by Their Creator with Certain Unalienable Rights.
9) To Protect Man’s Rights, God has Revealed Certain Principles of Divine Law.
10) The God-given Right to Govern is Vested in the Sovereign Authority of the Whole People.
11) The Majority of the People may Alter or Abolish a Government Which has Become Tyrannical.
12) The United States of America Shall be a Republic.
13) A Constitution Should be Structured to Permanently Protect the People from the Human Frailties of their Rulers.
14) Life and Liberty are Secure Only so Long as the Right to Property is Secure.
15) The Highest Level of Prosperity Occurs when there is a Free-market Economy and a Minimum of Government Regulations.
16) The Government Should be Separated into Three Branches---Legislative, Executive, and Judicial.
17) A System of Checks and Balances Should be Adopted to Prevent the Abuse of Power.
18) The Unalienable Rights of the People are Most Likely to be Preserved if the Principles of Government are Set Forth in a Written Constitution.
19) Only Limited and Carefully Defined Powers Should be Delegated to Government, All Others Being Retained in the People.
20) Efficiency and Dispatch Require Government to Operate According to the Will of the Majority, but Constitutional Provisions Must be Made to Protect the Rights of the Minority.
21) Strong Local Self-government is the Keystone to Preserving Human Freedom.
22) A Free People Should be Governed by Law and Not by the Whims of Men.
23) A Free Society Cannot Survive as a Republic Without a Broad Program of General Education.
24) A Free People Will Not Survive Unless They Stay Strong.
25) “Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship with All Nations---Entangling Alliances with None.”
26) The Core Unit Which Determines the Strength of Any Society is the Family; Therefore, the Government Should Foster and Protect Its Integrity.
27) The Burden of Debt is as Destructive to Freedom as Subjugation by Conquest.
28) The United States Has a Manifest Destiny to be an Example and a Blessing to the Entire Human Race.
It’s hard to imagine being sealed in the book of life…without having read it; wouldn’t you say?
By Chip Murray